Adjustment Period
We have been at our new place for almost a month and are still working on getting settled in. We don't even have phone or internet set up yet. I am really enjoying our new place though! It's got 3 huge bedrooms, on the upper level and a pretty good size living area and kitchen. We've been busy figuring the best way to get organized. It's taking a long time! It will come though.
Olivia got boils or something. At first we thought they were chickenpox but it was secluded and not all over the body. After we visited the doctor and ruled out chickenpox we started washing her with antibacterial soap (thanks Ang!) and it seemed to help. In all there was like under 15 o these sores that popped up. Only a hand full of them actually popped but they were nasty! We've been using antibacterial ointment on them regularly so we feel very lucky that they have cleared up so well. I doubt there will be any scarring but was concerned in the beginning.
With other expats moving, there are things for sale and we got a great deal on a 50g fish tank and 6 fish, who survived the transfer, for Brian. (Oh and for those who don't know, Brian LOVES fish!) We just purchased some more fish and now have a wonderful fish tank with several fresh water fish and a pig-nosed turtle! (I'm a sucker for cute little turtles!) After the big survival fish almost tried to eat some of the new small fish, and bullied the turtle, we decided he needed to catch a ride on the porcelain express. Good luck finding the ocean! Now with the meanie headstrong fish gone, everyone seems very content! We find ourselves all around the fish tank watching the little society. Very relaxing!
Since moving can be very chaotic for as long as you drag it out, I decided to get into a new routine upon moving in. I've always wanted to take tennis lessons and so I am. 1-3 times a week, depending on the weather. I have enjoyed it so far and feel like it's the best workout for me! I've only had 6 lessons and feel like I've made some real progress! At yesterday's lesson I was practicing my serves. Watch out Wimbledon, here I come! (Ok maybe not but it's fun to dream!)
The other days I go to the gym and am trying the "Body Sculpting Bible for Women" (thx Brit!) and have loved it! Gavin and I were taking swimming lessons, same teacher but different instruction (come on, I can kind of swim!). It's been really good for Gavin and he can play in the pool without drowning. He loves to dive for toys! But I've found that we're not enjoying it as much and it's not really a priority any more so I think we're going to stop the lessons for a while. Maybe we'll start back up again after the rainy season ends. :)
Some other things I'm staying involved in are
AWCP (American Women's Club of Philippines)
LDS Expat Scripture Group
Jewelry Making
Finding places to find things
With this last one, Finding places to find things, I realize that most of you who are reading this don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about. One of the reasons why expats, over here, have helpers or yaya's is because you can't "just run to the store". You can't run to the grocery store and pick up everything you need. You have to go one place for your meat, another place for the right milk, another place for good produce, another place for canned items. And that's on a good day! If, for some reason they are "out of stock" (which quickly becomes something you dread hearing) you might have to go to 3 more places before you find what you're looking for. Oh and these places are NEVER close to each other! You can't park anywhere close, this is why you have a driver or take taxis everywhere. Driving from one place to another (even if it's 5 blocks down the road) can take 45 minutes if there is traffic. If you end up taking your children to the store to "grab a few things" it could take hours. It's definitely easier to leave kids at home, doing things they love to do, with someone who is more than happy to watch them and play with them.
Hired help and why it's so important to hire people here when you're living here. If you think you can do all this on your own and don't need any help, that's great, but consider this... when you give jobs to these people, it's really not costing you much, and these people don't make much in any position. Alma (who we love and cherish as a friend and as one of our helpers) has 3 children. In this country the kids stay living in their homes even after they get married, have children. Sometimes several generations live under the same roof. Alma's husband works for the government, going out into the provinces educating them about food, planting, sanitation, cleanliness, so really he's educating them about a better way to live more efficiently. He's at level 21 or 23 in his career and that's pretty high up. He only receives 5000 philippino peso's ($100USD) every 15 days. So in a month he receives $200 USD. They have a budget of what each person gets a day, down to the centavo. They use every last bit of it, no luxuries. So for us to be employing Alma, it's giving them a chance to save an a chance at a little bit better life. If nothing else, we do it to help the people here. (But really the people who work for us are a HUGE HELP to us!) The fact that we've found people who we trust with our kids and in our house when we're not home is big, too! There are several scary stories and it makes us count our blessings for fabulous helpers!
Well the clock is ticking and I better head to bed. Got to get up for tennis in the morn! I hope this has been a bit more informative on what types of things we are doing out here. We love and miss you all! (Wish you all could come and experience with us!) Gnight!
Olivia got boils or something. At first we thought they were chickenpox but it was secluded and not all over the body. After we visited the doctor and ruled out chickenpox we started washing her with antibacterial soap (thanks Ang!) and it seemed to help. In all there was like under 15 o these sores that popped up. Only a hand full of them actually popped but they were nasty! We've been using antibacterial ointment on them regularly so we feel very lucky that they have cleared up so well. I doubt there will be any scarring but was concerned in the beginning.
With other expats moving, there are things for sale and we got a great deal on a 50g fish tank and 6 fish, who survived the transfer, for Brian. (Oh and for those who don't know, Brian LOVES fish!) We just purchased some more fish and now have a wonderful fish tank with several fresh water fish and a pig-nosed turtle! (I'm a sucker for cute little turtles!) After the big survival fish almost tried to eat some of the new small fish, and bullied the turtle, we decided he needed to catch a ride on the porcelain express. Good luck finding the ocean! Now with the meanie headstrong fish gone, everyone seems very content! We find ourselves all around the fish tank watching the little society. Very relaxing!
Since moving can be very chaotic for as long as you drag it out, I decided to get into a new routine upon moving in. I've always wanted to take tennis lessons and so I am. 1-3 times a week, depending on the weather. I have enjoyed it so far and feel like it's the best workout for me! I've only had 6 lessons and feel like I've made some real progress! At yesterday's lesson I was practicing my serves. Watch out Wimbledon, here I come! (Ok maybe not but it's fun to dream!)
The other days I go to the gym and am trying the "Body Sculpting Bible for Women" (thx Brit!) and have loved it! Gavin and I were taking swimming lessons, same teacher but different instruction (come on, I can kind of swim!). It's been really good for Gavin and he can play in the pool without drowning. He loves to dive for toys! But I've found that we're not enjoying it as much and it's not really a priority any more so I think we're going to stop the lessons for a while. Maybe we'll start back up again after the rainy season ends. :)
Some other things I'm staying involved in are
AWCP (American Women's Club of Philippines)
LDS Expat Scripture Group
Jewelry Making
Finding places to find things
With this last one, Finding places to find things, I realize that most of you who are reading this don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about. One of the reasons why expats, over here, have helpers or yaya's is because you can't "just run to the store". You can't run to the grocery store and pick up everything you need. You have to go one place for your meat, another place for the right milk, another place for good produce, another place for canned items. And that's on a good day! If, for some reason they are "out of stock" (which quickly becomes something you dread hearing) you might have to go to 3 more places before you find what you're looking for. Oh and these places are NEVER close to each other! You can't park anywhere close, this is why you have a driver or take taxis everywhere. Driving from one place to another (even if it's 5 blocks down the road) can take 45 minutes if there is traffic. If you end up taking your children to the store to "grab a few things" it could take hours. It's definitely easier to leave kids at home, doing things they love to do, with someone who is more than happy to watch them and play with them.
Hired help and why it's so important to hire people here when you're living here. If you think you can do all this on your own and don't need any help, that's great, but consider this... when you give jobs to these people, it's really not costing you much, and these people don't make much in any position. Alma (who we love and cherish as a friend and as one of our helpers) has 3 children. In this country the kids stay living in their homes even after they get married, have children. Sometimes several generations live under the same roof. Alma's husband works for the government, going out into the provinces educating them about food, planting, sanitation, cleanliness, so really he's educating them about a better way to live more efficiently. He's at level 21 or 23 in his career and that's pretty high up. He only receives 5000 philippino peso's ($100USD) every 15 days. So in a month he receives $200 USD. They have a budget of what each person gets a day, down to the centavo. They use every last bit of it, no luxuries. So for us to be employing Alma, it's giving them a chance to save an a chance at a little bit better life. If nothing else, we do it to help the people here. (But really the people who work for us are a HUGE HELP to us!) The fact that we've found people who we trust with our kids and in our house when we're not home is big, too! There are several scary stories and it makes us count our blessings for fabulous helpers!
Well the clock is ticking and I better head to bed. Got to get up for tennis in the morn! I hope this has been a bit more informative on what types of things we are doing out here. We love and miss you all! (Wish you all could come and experience with us!) Gnight!


Comments