Welcome Baby Olivia

Olivia Day was born on April 14th at 6:03 PM. She weighed 9lbs 5oz and was 21" long.

Two weeks earlier we had an ultrasound where we were told she was 7lbs 5oz. I was happy to hear she was smaller than Gavin, boy was I surprised to find out she was a whole pound bigger than Gavin at birth.

I went in for a scheduled induction at 6:00 AM on Monday April 14th. I had been having contractions for 2 weeks on my own, but was only dilated to a 2 and 80% effaced. They started me on Pitocin at 9:30 and I was doing alright until about 2:00 when I asked for the epidural. The doctor couldn't find the right spot though. I think he poked me 8 times. It was awful. I think I hurt more recovering from the epidural bruising than from the actual birth!

After getting the epidural, I was able to sleep for a few hours then it was time for me to push. Man, when you get that urge to push, it's really funny when the nurse says, "Whatever you do, don't push." Olivia was ready to come and was going to come regardless of weather the nurse wanted me to push or not. 20 minutes later, we had a beautiful, big baby girl.

After two really lousy nights at home, I was exhausted. On the third night, Brian watched her and kept her up while I got some sleep and from then on she only wakes up 1-2 times a night for food then goes right back to sleep. We feel very lucky!

It is funny to already see the difference in personalities between our kids. Olivia is very laid back. It took her a really long time to make her first sound. She only speaks up when she's hungry and even then, it's really not that bad. When Gavin was born, he would lift his head up and watch everyone in the room. Gavin has always been very intense wanting to be involved in everything. Olivia gets tired and falls asleep in mid stretch, could care less about any kind of noise, which is good since Gavin is not a quiet kid.

Gavin has really enjoyed getting to know his sister. There have been a few times where he's gone up and pounded on her. She has taken it like a champ, not even crying. (We keep a closer eye on them when they are together.) He is usually very sweet to her, trying to give her things and wanting to hold her and kiss her. Grammy was watching him while Mom, Dad, and Olivia went out. He woke up from his nap and was very concerned about baby since he couldn't find her anywhere. It is great to see the bond between him and Olivia. I know Gavin will be a great big brother.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats again! I hope you guys are having a great time and that you're feeling good now. I'm sorry to hear about the epidural - I can't believe that!! Your kids are beautiful!
Just found your blog, you have such a cute family. I can't believe that we have kids already!!!
Leah and Alex said…
Joslin!

Oh, my goodness, I can't believe you had your baby girl. I decided to check your blog to see when you were going to be due and there you are holding your beautiful baby girl. I feel terrible I hadn't checked it earlier. Oh, I can't believe you have two kids now and how adorable they are. I am so happy for you and Brian. Congratulations on this great occasion and blessing. I wish you two the best. By the way, what it your address? I don't have it at my disposal right now and thought this might be the quickest way to obtain it. Anyway, Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! What wonderful news.
The Child's said…
Joslin,

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you had your second, how exciting! I didn't even know you had a blog, but Leah wrote me today and gave me the address and told me that you and Brian had a baby girl, how amazing. She's absolutely beautiful Joslin, what a blessing for your sweet family. Gavin has gotten so big, I'm sure he's going to be the best older brother! Congratulations!
-Claudia
Eric and Jenny said…
Joslin found you. I love your blog, it was so fun reading all about little Olivia. She is such a little sweetheart. It was so great catching up with you yesterday and of course holding your little one. It will be great to keep in touch with you guys now, especially since you will be in the Phillipines. Not sure if I spelled that right, sorry if I didn't

Popular Posts